Dear Good Shepherd Parents,
Welcome to the 2019-2020 School Year!
We have just a few traffic safety and carpool reminders to share as we return to school. Thank you so much for following these instructions and for being courteous to each other. It is always a little congested as we come back on campus and get back in the routine. These procedures will help keep you and your children safe and will allow the carpool traffic to move as efficiently and quickly as possible.
The Northaven Trail construction around our campus is still a work in progress, and the construction may be ongoing as school begins. Please be mindful of any specific construction signs and barriers that could be in place to ensure your safety, and the safety of all our students, during carpool or while driving and/or parking on campus.
At this time, there are no new instructions or changes to our normal traffic flow as a result of the construction. Should that change, we will provide those details as soon as possible. Please be aware of this possible work, and take normal precautions around any construction signs and barriers during any visits to our campus.
Click here to review our carpool maps, or refer to them on the Community page on the website. The maps note the route and location for drop off and pick up by grades. For afternoon pick up, each grade level carpool line location is marked so you know where to wait for your release time. Please do not arrive before your designated release times. Your children are not released from class until the noted release time, and arriving early adds to the congestion and traffic for other grade levels.
As you arrive on the first day of school, many families will choose to park and walk their children into class, unlike other days for regular drop off. This means parking will be at a premium. If you find there are no parking spots available, the school recommends you park across the street along Sleepy Lane. We will have officers stationed to help you cross the Midway Road traffic. Please remember that parking in front of the church (Midway Rd. side) is for church use only.
Middle School - Morning and afternoon middle school carpools will remain the same. Enter from the south on Midway Rd. into the south parking lot, or enter from the north into the main entrance on Midway Rd. and circle around to the drop-off point behind Trinity Hall.
Early Childhood (red tags) and Lower School (yellow/blue tags) - Morning carpool will remain the same. Enter the main entrance on Midway Rd., turn left in front of the church, and circle around to the Northaven parking lot to Kincaid Pavilion for drop off. In the afternoon, Primer will be released with PreK and Kindergarten at 2:50 p.m.
1st/2nd Grades (yellow tags) Afternoon Carpool - Cars will start lining up at 3:05 at the top northernmost parking area. The first car will stop at the entrance into the Northaven parking area and will not move forward until released by faculty/staff. Someone will release this group once all 1st/2nd grade children have arrived in Kincaid for pickup and following the release of all Early Childhood students.
3rd/4th Grades (blue tags) Afternoon Carpool - Cars will start lining up at 3:15 on the north side of the church sanctuary in the lane closest to the sanctuary. Once this lane is full, the next 3rd/4th grade car will line up under the porte-cochere. Faculty/staff will be present to provide guidance.
Please do not arrive earlier than the pickup times noted. Your children are not released from the classroom to arrive in Kincaid for pickup until the posted times noted below. Arriving early can create confusion and additional traffic that will ultimately delay the overall carpool pickup timeframes.
Thank you for being an example of someone who is "leading with courage" for your children and to all those who come on our campus by following the additional instructions outlined below:
- Please note it is imperative to have your car tags visible before you enter campus. These tags help our officers to both better direct you onto campus and watch for cars who do not belong in our carpool lines.
- Please do not arrive for carpool pick up ahead of your child's release time. This will reduce everyone's wait times. Your children are released from class for pick up at the following times:
- PreK and Primer 2:50 p.m.
- First – Second Grades 3:05 p.m.
- Third – Fourth Grades 3:15 p.m.
- Fifth – Eighth Grades 3:30 p.m.
- Extended Day pick up for all students is between 3:30 - 6:00 p.m. in Kelsoe Cottage.
- Encore carpool will follow the lower school carpool route and pick up outside of Kincaid at the end of your student's Encore class.
- Please keep your children seated with all body parts in the car throughout the drop-off experience. We recommend no standing up through sunroofs, and heads and arms are to remain inside the car at all times, please.
- For safety reasons, all children will exit on the passenger side of the car so please ensure car seats, as needed, are arranged accordingly. No exceptions.
- Please, no texting or talking on the phone when in carpool line.
- Please watch your speed when entering campus. Small children are very hard to see and can quickly dart out from between cars. The safety of all children is our number one priority.
- If you are picking up 3rd or 4th grade students, please stay to the far right so that younger student pick-ups can pass on the left.
- Lower school (LS) students may not be dropped off or picked up in middle school (MS) carpool. If you do have both a MS and LS student, please use the LS carpool line for drop off. MS students may walk themselves to their designated location.
- Excluding our mid-day PreK pick up, there is no drop off or pick up of any students in front of Trinity Gym, Nichols Hall, Nix, or Kelsoe Cottage at any time during the day, including athletics. Athletics pick up should use the middle school carpool route. There are fire lane areas for emergency vehicles only. Please do not drop off or pick up your children from these locations. You may park if space is available and walk with your children to Kincaid or their designated location.
- We will, quite often, be required to double stack cars in order to prevent back-up on Midway Road. We know this can seem confusing and recognize it is a tight fit, so please be patient as our staff provides direction to move you through this process as efficiently and safely as possible. We will ask you merge back into a single line as you round the first bend just north of the church.
- Cars are allowed to pass to the farthest left in order to park when picking up children. Please know that they are not cutting in front of you as you wait or drive through the carpool line.
- Please do not park in the right lane in front of the church during carpool hours. The right lane is for carpool, and the left lane is for church parking only.
- Please be neighborly. When there is stacking on Midway or Northaven, do not block any street or alley access that is utilized by our friends and neighbors.
- When you see our police officers, please thank them for their amazing service to us each and every day. We are very grateful for the gifts of their time and talent in rain, snow, or heat. They truly are a blessing to our community.
Your patience and cooperation helps us to make carpool safe for all.
Happy to have everyone back. Please have a fun and safe school year!